From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:21:59 -0400
From: Beth Bernhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 07:42:16 -0400

Please excuse the cross posting

Registration Now Open for 2012 Charleston Conference!

Dear Colleagues,

We're pleased to announce that registration for the 2012 Charleston
Conference (http://katina.info/conference/), to be held November 7-10
in historic downtown Charleston, SC, is now open!  Register by
September 14th to receive the Early Bird rate.

Register online at http://www.katina.info/conference/registration.php.

Our tentative program is posted online at
http://katina.info/conference/program.php.  Confirmed plenary speakers
include:

Annette Thomas, CEO, Macmillan

Anurag Acharya, Founder and Lead Engineer, Google Scholar

Peter Brantley, Director, Bookserver Project

Mike Shatzkin, Founder & CEO, The Idea Logical Company, Inc.

Greg Tanabaum, CEO, ScholarNext

Peter Binfield, Publisher, PLoS One

Timo Hannay, Managing Director, Digital Science

Kristen Eschenfelder, Professor, University of Wisconsin-Madison
School of Library and Information Studies

Mark Coker, President, Smashwords

Ann Okerson,  Senior Advisor on Electronic Strategies, Center for
Research Libraries (CRL)

Others TBA

Why come to Charleston?  Each year, over 1,000 librarians, vendors,
and publishers make a pilgrimage to the Holy City. They are not headed
to the Mediterranean, but to the southeast coast of the U S -- to
Charleston, SC.  The Charleston Conference is an informal annual
gathering of librarians, publishers, electronic resource managers,
consultants, and vendors of library materials each November to discuss
issues of importance to them all. It is designed to be a collegial
gathering of individuals from different areas who discuss the same
issues in a non-threatening, friendly, and highly informal
environment. Presidents of companies discuss and debate with library
directors, acquisitions librarians, reference librarians, serials
librarians, collection development librarians, and many, many others.
Begun in 1980, the Charleston Conference has grown from 20
participants in 1980 to over 1,400 in 2011.

This year, the Conference will again be held at the Francis Marion
Hotel (http://www.francismarionhotel.com/) in historic downtown
Charleston, and with concurrent sessions at the nearby Courtyard
Marriott Historic District and the College of Charleston Addlestone
Library.  Travel and hotel information is available on our website at
http://www.katina.info/conference/travel.php.

Feel free to contribute, say what you want, or give us your ideas for
panels and presentations through our Call for Papers form, online at
http://www.katina.info/conference/callforpapers.php. The deadline for
submissions is June 15.

Contact Leah Hinds at [log in to unmask] with questions or comments.  We
hope to see you in November!

Beth R. Bernhardt
Electronic Resources Librarian
Jackson Library