From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 19:11:00 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 23:12:41 -0500

I am pretty sure the issue (I may be wrong about this) is that some
authors feel that they don't have control over the publication and
sale of their own work.  Some authors find their dissertation on
Amazon and wonder how it got there; some authors believe that such
publication and sale could interfere with their ability to revise and
publish their dissertation more formally--say, with a university
press.  The issue is control.

How to fix this?  The question is, who controls the rights to a
dissertation in the first place?  The answer to that may vary
institution by institution.  An institution that mandates deposit in
an open repository or insists that authors sign an agreement with
ProQuest or any third party has taken some of the control away from
the author.  That is an institution's prerogative.  Unfortunately,
some authors are not aware of these requirements and their
implications.

If the rights and control issues were made clear (and only the
institution can do this), the rest is easy.  There are countless
self-publishing services now, and publishing a dissertation in such a
manner would not be hard. It just isn't clear that this is what people
want.

Joe Esposito