From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:27:02 -0400
From: Ivy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 06:49:33 +0000

There was a dispute between Springer and the founding editor of
K-Theory back in 2007, which resulted in the resignation of the
editorial board and the founding of a new journal, Journal of
K-Theory, published by Cambridge University Press.  You can find some
older news stories here

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=585  and here

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v448/n7156/full/448846b.html.

K-Theory is listed with a "preserved" status in Portico, meaning that
content should already be deposited in the archive, with
post-cancellation rights (see
http://www.portico.org/digital-preservation/the-archive-content-access/content-in-the-archive/e-journals/k/title/asc).

At least some of the K-theory papers seem to be on arXiv (an arXiv
search for journal-ref: K-Theory yields 70 hits, but some of these are
to the newer journal or to other journals).  There is also a K-theory
preprint server at http://www.math.uiuc.edu/K-theory/ (now closed and
being migrated to arXiv I believe), although I don't know if the
papers there include ones from the disputed Springer journal.

This is an interesting object lesson in the vagaries of perpetual
rights, the value of redundancy, and the role of the academy and
trusted 3rd parties in ensuring long-term access to the scholarly
literature.

- Ivy Anderson
California Digital Library