From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 23:10:58 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:48:33 -0600

I've visited the web site and can find no list of the 100 reviewers
anywhere on it. There is a list of the "Editorial Team" consisting of
14 members, only two of whom are based in the U.S., one of them being
the overall "Editor," William Martin Modrow, who is a Rare Books  &
Manuscripts Librarian at Florida State, who has an MA in history and
MLIS, both from that university:
http://www.lib.fsu.edu/about/faculty/profiles/ModrowB.html--a rather
odd choice, I'd say, to be the editor of a journal covering all of the
social sciences, which are outside his listed fields of expertise.
The other U.S. scholar on the "Team" is one Monroe Friedman, an
emeritus professor of psychology at Eastern Michigan University, known
mainly for his work on consumer behavior.

Over the years as an editor in the social sciences (covering every
field except psychology) for 45 years, I have never come across the
names of any of the 14 members of this "Editorial Team." Moreover, the
description of the editorial peer-review process makes it clear that
each manuscript is assigned to one member of the "Editorial Board"
(which may or may not be different from the aforementioned "Editorial
Team") who, in most cases, do the peer review themselves and make the
final decisions, occasionally consulting with an expert not on the
Board. What Mr. Scott says about one of the key goals being speed of
dissemination is hardly reassuring about the quality of the
peer-review process. He boasts that it takes just weeks, instead of
months, suggesting to me, at least, that the reviews conducted are
pretty superficial. I wonder if Mr. Scott would care to share with us
a sample reader's report on an accepted manuscript, removing the name
of the reviewer (though the site also says that the Editorial Board
members's name always appears when the article is published)?

Sandy Thatcher