From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:09:29 -0400
From: Cynthia Hodgson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:28:33 -0400

(with apologies for cross-posting)

The Open Discovery Initiative (ODI), a working group of the National
Information Standards Organization (NISO), has been formed to develop
a Recommended Practice related to the index-based discovery services
for libraries. ODI aims to investigate and improve the ecosystem
surrounding these discovery services, with a goal of broader
participation of content providers and increased transparency to
libraries.

An important component of our work involves gathering information from
the key stakeholders: libraries, content providers, and developers of
discovery products.

If you are involved in discovery services we request that you respond
to our survey. The survey results will provide essential information
to the workgroup as it develops recommended practices related to
discovery services. A full report on the findings of this survey will
be made available publically on the NISO website later this year.

We are especially interested in input from:

·         libraries that have implemented or plan to implement a
discovery service, and

·         organizations that potentially contribute content to one or
more of these services:

o   primary publishers,

o   producers of aggregated databases of citation or full-text content
for libraries, and

o   creators of abstracting and indexing services.

 We anticipate that the survey will take about 20 minutes to complete.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QBXZXSB

 All respondents that identify themselves will be entered into a
drawing for one of six $25 Amazon e-gift cards, kindly sponsored by Ex
Libris and SAGE. These respondents will also receive a copy of the
aggregated results. Note that any results shared will be anonymous and
only aggregate data will be released.

In addition, if you are interested in keeping up to date with ODI,
please sign up to our Interest mailing list -
http://www.niso.org/lists/opendiscovery

Thank you

ODI Working Group