From:
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2015 23:42:14 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 09:13:34 -0500

To Stevan's objection I would add that such a statement as this is
ridiculously overreaching:

At 6:49 PM -0400 5/27/15, LIBLICENSE wrote:

> We do not believe that scientific, economic and social progress should be hindered in order to protect commercial interests.

It just so happens that university presses have "commercial interests"
also. If taken literally, this statement advocates stealing everything
that university presses publish.

I would also second Stevan's point about CC-BY-NC-ND. I have argued
elsewhere that humanists especially are not well served by just CC-BY
alone because they have an interest in making sure that their writing
is translated correctly and CC-BY provides no protection against
sloppy and poor translation.  Moreover, insisting on CC-BY for OA
monographs would undercut one business model that has been used
successfully by university presses (like the one I directed at Penn
State) to  make OA monograph publishing possible.

Be careful what you wish for!

Sandy Thatcher