From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:13:16 -0400
From: Collette Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 07:37:02 -0400

I agree, our library search experiences can be more annoying than
helpful.  If you aren't already using Google Scholar you may want to
try that. (scholar.google.com)   If the content is available
immediately through an institutional repository or similar service
there will be a link to the PDF.  I can't speak for your institution
but at Notre Dame our linking software presents the "find text" button
on content we own or license.  I generally suggest that our freshman
comp students start with Google Scholar because it has all the
forgiving features of Google and links to our content.  They're going
to use Google anyway so why not use the good Google?!

I would so very much like publishers to know what content we have
licensed and let our users go directly to the article.  If they want
people to use legally (if ruinously priced) licensed content over
pirate sites you'd think they'd make a bigger effort to make that
legally licensed content more easily available.

Collette

Collette Mak
Outreach and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Hesburgh Libraries

University of Notre Dame
115a Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN 46556