From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2015 20:43:26 -0500
From: John Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 15:33:49 +0000

So what happens if and when the "exclusive license" terminates?  The
key in the wording used in 17 USC 101 is that the transfer may relate
to "any of the exclusive rights comprised in a copyright".  The
"transfer" needs to be recorded in writing.  This does not mean that
the entire copyright ownership becomes the property of the "exclusive
licensee". What governs the transfer are the terms and conditions of
the license.

In the case of authors and publishers, an "exclusive license to
publish" means that the publisher can exercise the rights of the
author to publish his/her work, as defined in the Author Agreement.
In certain circumstances (e.g. the publisher does not publish, or
allow the work to go out of stock), the exclusive license terminates
and those rights licensed to the publisher revert to the author as
copyright owner.

The laws of the USA, UK and other countries that are signatories to
the Bern Convention are consistent in this.

John Cox
Rookwood, Bradden
Towcester, Northants
NN12 8ED