From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2014 01:12:56 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 10:01:32 -0400

Another perspective on Sandy's remark is simply to say that even if U.
presses should be subsidized (for their monograph output anyway),
librarians can legitimately ask why the subsidy should come from them.

I do want to introduce a small nuance to these discussions.  The
phrase "no one wants these books" or the comment that "books don't
circulate in libraries" is probably never true.  If libraries purchase
300 copies of a title and the title circulates in 100 of those
libraries, it circulates.  There is a difference between small demand
and no demand.

One way of viewing the problem of one segment of U. press publishing
(not all U. press publishing is unprofitable, and some presses have
both profitable and unprofitable programs) is that the cost basis for
publishing these books is too high for the forecast market.  So, for
example, if you could produce a book for $5,000 and sell 100 copies,
then you could make a go of it.  But the cost of publishing a book
over its lifetime to the publisher is closer to $50,000 (at some point
I will write up a blog post to explain this number, but it's not the
exercise of a Sunday morning)--that is, if you publish books the way
we do now, which happens to be the way the marketplace expects them to
be published.

So it makes perfect sense for some people to look for ways to publish
scholarly books more inexpensively.  That's not the only strategy, and
I am not personally endorsing it.  It is simply a natural outgrowth of
the market-based economy that presses operate in.

Joe Esposito