From:
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2016 23:09:22 -0500
From: Linda Wobbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:51:43 -0800

Hi,

It is interesting to see the publisher perspective on DDA/PDA.

Here's a librarian view:

DDA/PDA has the potential to destroy InterlibraryLoan/Resource
sharing, since ebooks as a general rule cannot be loaned between
libraries. (We should have the right to do so, but until more
publishers agree to allow their ebooks to be shared through such
mechanisms such as the Occam's Reader project, lending is not
possible.)  And, with many academic libraries choosing ebook as their
preferred acquisition format, there will be little in our collections
that we can lend.

While publishers may be celebrating this, it gives each library a
false impression that they can serve all of their community's needs.
Of course, no library collection is sufficient to provide everything
varied researchers choose to study.  And no DDA/PDA collection will
come close to meeting all research needs.

So, in a DDA/PDA eBook-preferred library collection,  Interlibrary
Lending and academic research will be stymied.  That is the future I'm
afraid I see.

…Linda