Current Liblicense Archive - Re: Sage Open price now $99

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

LIBLICENSE-L  January 2013

LIBLICENSE-L January 2013

Re: Sage Open price now $99

Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:36:07 -0500

From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:56:27 -0500

This is an interesting and useful analysis.  Still, I don't think it
alters the basic (evolving) facts:  PLoS ONE is terribly overpriced.
It is a hosting service; it makes not qualitative judgments.  It is
thus what is known as a "commodity business," which means that
competition takes place on price alone.  The cost of Gold OA (better
described as "author-pays") services will continue to come down.  This
means that the services these organizations provide will be challenged
in terms of their cost structure.  Anyone who has ever visited the
offices of PLoS in San Francisco knows that this is an unsustainable
situation.  We should expect to see all manner of means to lower these
costs, including setting up operations in low-cost areas and
determining ways to reduce the complexity and cost of peer review even
further.

Joe Esposito