From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:17:19 -0400
From: Sean Johnson Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:17:41 -0500

This sounds like one of those, "so have you stopped beating your
wife?" kinds of questions.  Your framing of the issue largely misses
the point. The mission of academic libraries is not to pay rentier
lobby groups extortion money for questionable legal protections; it is
to use scarce resources providing access to their patrons to the
content they often helped produce. Perhaps these two goals aren't
mutually exclusive, but in this case they seem to be.

Seeing as many of the items with those "legitimate copyrights" were
produced by members of that academic community, it's a bit sly to act
like providing "fair use" access (rather than, in the present case,
paying for it three or four times over at an 800% markup) to that
material should be an abrogation of their rights. But I suppose this
will continue to be the controversy on which the entire scholarly
communication endeavor pivots.

Dreaming of a detente,
Sean