From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:38:59 -0500
From: "Sowards, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:00:43 +0000

Thanks for putting this defect front and center. I have had to say
'no' to multiple otherwise interesting e-book offers in the last two
years, over this same issue: publisher insistence that libraries waive
our legal right to ILL. This is especially galling when it comes to
university presses: one would have hoped that we would be on the same
side, namely, in favor of disseminating information. Money talks, when
it comes to publishers: if libraries refuse these offers (and state
plainly why they are doing so), publishers will hear the message.

Steven Sowards
Associate Director for Collections
Michigan State University Libraries
366 W. Circle Drive