From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:55:18 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:32:19 -0400

As I said in my earlier post, I do not wish to engage the copyright
issues here.  But this sentence is plain wrong:

"It is not clear, from the perspective of authors or customers of
traditional publishers that they really are thinking beyond the
container, even if they attend panels on that topic."

Presumably some authors and customers access the New York Times, as I
do, on a smartphone and tablet, even as my wife reads the hardcopy.
And no doubt many authors and customers have noticed that ebook
versions of books now appear on the same day as hardcopies. That last
item is due to the behind-the-scenes miracle of integrated XML
workflows, which are designed to make texts available in multiple
containers.  Last night I watched a movie called "Antiviral" (not
recommended) which began its life as a theatrical release.  The DVD
followed shortly afterward.  I saw it streaming from Netflix.  To call
any of these changes transformative is nonsense.

All this stuff is very, very hard to do, and it all costs money.
Investments are rolled out in stages, typically beginning with the
largest market opportunity first.

Joe Esposito