From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:19:55 -0500
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 08:41:48 +0400

Hi All

> I agree that the clause is a silly one and that reasonable endeavours or
> suchlike is the most a vendor might expect but have many librarians been
> sued or is this another joke by Dr. Masters?

The binary forming of this question is problematic: the possibility
that no librarian (or institution) has yet been fined or sued should
not mean that this can be taken as a joke.

Here are a few safe assumptions:

- Lawyers do not put jokes into contracts.

- If the word "reasonable" has not been put into the clause, then it
is not by error.  It has been done for a purpose.

- Even if you do wish to take the "reasonable endeavours" route of
defence, user names and passwords like "tester," "testuser,"
"testpass," etc, will not be easy to defend.

- If, after the clause has been pointed out by the institution, the
representative still insists that it stays, then it is definitely
there for a reason.  More, the fact that you pointed that clause out
to the representative is a strong argument that you were aware of that
condition, and understood it and its implications; ignorance of the
law is rarely a defence, but, in that instance, you've made any
defence well-nigh impossible.

Rather, two other questions should be considered:

Q: Are there documented instances where user access codes (usernames
and passwords, including ones like "testpass", etc) have been made
publicly accessible (e.g. on the Internet)?
Q: Do libraries and institutions expose themselves to legal action
because of this?
A: Read your contracts, and have your lawyers read them also.

Regards

Ken