From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:09:39 +0300
From: Louis Houle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:51:45 +0000

I would like to make some clarification regarding this text since the
section where a comparison is made between Université de Montréal
(UdeM) and McGill is misleading. We have to remember that what
constitutes the largest portion of the cost for an institution’s Big
Deal, like this one from Wiley, is its core subscriptions list: i.e.
subscriptions held at the institution’s library when the license was
initiated. I do not think that we have had any “special conditions”
applied here at McGill because we have had this package for a longer
period than UdeM. Yes, we have been early adopters for both Wiley and
Blackwell e-journal packages like many of you and came in with our
core subscription titles for both collections more than ten years ago.
Price of subscriptions were also lower at that time then they were
three, five or seven years ago. The time factor here that we
benefitted from, like many of you, has been to protect our self from
higher individual price increases by negotiating price cap increases
on multi-year deals. We also made a decision at the time to not keep
print duplicate subscriptions for the titles included in those two
packages. The Wiley-Blackwell License moved from regional consortia
agreements to a national one (CRKN) in 2010.

As we can see, there are many factors affecting the price of Big Deals
but the most important one is your core subscriptions list that you
had at the time you entered the license agreement.

Louis Houle
Director Collection
McGill University