From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:24:57 -0500
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:37:59 +0000

Joe,

There are many kinds of OA publishing as there are many kinds
of subscription-based (SB) publishing. And the level of peer-review
also differs, between journals, and often within journals. You
question the potential for success of peer-reviewed OA journals
because "there is no large customer base over which the overhead
can be spread." How so? Unless you are talking about magazine-type
journals with personal subscriptions (of which there are a few, but as
a portion of the total number of journals, theirs is a fraction of a
percent) there is a customer base of hundreds, occasionally more
than a thousand, libraries for most journals. That compares to the
number of potentially paying researchers, which is more than a
million (given the number of articles currently being published every
year).

The business problem of how to keep submissions coming is there
for OA publishing as well as for SB publishing. Subscriptions to
'empty' journals aren't very sustainable. The SB model has an
added business problem: how to keep libraries subscribing and
paying.

You call it a "fundamental problem" for author-pays OA publishing
(which is in reality 'author-side-paid OA publishing') that it "does not
add value to the people who pay for it". That is misunderstanding
the academic 'ego-system'. It is "Publish or Perish", not "Read or Rot"
putting the need, and that means the value-add, squarely, or at least
largely, on the side of the author. And also, an author can choose
where to publish, a reader needs access to everything in his or her
field. OA journals have no monetizable monopoloid position anymore,
in the way the SB journals do. Indeed, author-side-paid OA resolves
the economic contradictions and monopoly problems inherent in the
SB model.

Jan Velterop