From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 15:24:12 -0400
From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:52:48 +0100

It's not the acquisition costs which fall, it's the storage and management
costs - see, for example,

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october02/montgomery/10montgomery.html

which, as we've heard, constitute a significant slice of every library's budget.

And I'm really surprised to hear that you don't believe that the long-term
access problems are being addressed;  if so, that is very disappointing.
You can't really blame publishers for wanting to charge something - after
all, maintaining files and providing access to them, though nothing like as
costly as a print archive, is not completely cost-free - but I agree with
you that it ought not to be astronomical.

Sally Morris
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing
West Sussex, UK  BN13 3U
Email:  [log in to unmask]