From:
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2015 19:00:40 -0400
From: "Macklin, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 14:40:20 +0000

Lisa,

I think its worth noting three things.  First, the Model License is just
that, and there may be clauses that publishers want to remove or change,
much the same as there are clauses that libraries remove or change.  Each
license is negotiated separately, and if the publisher and the library
signed the license with this clause, they would have agreed to its terms.

Second, if the publisher did agree to this clause, where are you
anticipating a dispute?  If the terms of the author agreement are more
restrictive, and the author wanted to exercise the rights granted in the
license, the library could point to the clause in its own license.  Since
the publisher agreed to those terms, they should honor that agreement.  I
think the greatest challenge is informing authors of their rights under
copyright, whether as part of a library license or in general.  I have
worked with many faculty authors who didn¹t fully appreciate that they are
the copyright owner of their work until and unless they sign their rights
over to a publisher.

Third, this clause was adopted from previous work done under the auspices
of ARL.  The reality is that the bargaining power of the institution is
greater than the bargaining power of the individual author.  This reality
is in part what has prompted faculty at some institutions to adopt open
access policies.  If your institution has an open access policy, you may
or may not feel this language is needed.

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, I worked on the Model
License, although I did not work on the drafting of the original language
on author rights.

Thanks for your interest in the model license.

Cheers,

Lisa

Lisa A. Macklin, MLS, JD
Director, Scholarly Communications Office
Library and Information Technology Services
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322