From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:45:13 -0400
From: "Lars Bjørnshauge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 19:53:44 +0200

Hi Iain,

The only study I know of is one of Björks & Solomons good studies
about open access - you can find these here:
http://www.openaccesspublishing.org/

As far as I recall Björk & Solomon found that the number of OA
articles published based on APCs was more or less the same as the
number of articles published without payment of APCs. The findings are
(as I recall it) based on articles published in 2010 and based on a
large sample.

It would be my guess that the proportion of articles published based
on APCs for 2012 might be slightly higher, due to the take up of
megajournals.

Björk & Solomons studies are highly recommended for those who would
find answers to many of the questions surrounding OA!

kind regards

Lars
Director SPARc Europe
Managing Director DOAJ