From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:06:41 -0500
From: Irene Perciali <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 20:06:49 -0800

To reply to Joe:

> I don't think there is a place for libraries here, at least not over
> the long term.

Libraries are discovering quite a significant place for themselves,
and one that shows signs of sustained growth. I'm referring to
libraries that offer journal publishing services. According to the
IMLS-funded "Library Publishing Services: Strategies for Success"
report, 55% of libraries already offer or want to offer publishing
services (http://wp.sparc.arl.org/lps). Looking at Digital Commons
sites alone, there are over 400 library-published journals, and we
typically see about 10-20 new ones per month. The vast majority of
these journals are open access journals; some have (extremely
low-cost) subscriptions. Often they are published on behalf of small
societies, turning a low-circulation subscription print journal into
an open access online one.

It's early days still, but we're starting to see evidence that this
model is starting to make inroads in the commercial market, publishing
journals that would otherwise end up behind a toll wall or with a
publisher that charges commercial-level author fees. Even short of
that, I think it's already clear that library publishing services
provide a welcome home for journals that simply could not exist
otherwise: for example, those in fields that lack grant money for
author fees, or those in emerging fields where commercial publishers
can't afford to take a risk.

And, in reply to this:

> Of course, they may choose not to compete; they may choose to get the
> faculty senate to mandate that authors at their institution use the
> library's service first.  This would be an enforced monopoly.  The
> service level would be comparable to what you get at the Division of
> Motor Vehicles.

No mandates, but the service level of library publishing has been
extraordinary. Ask any editor who felt frustrated with slow turnaround
time and high costs, was turned away by a commercial publisher because
the journal could not prove that it could earn $50,000/year in
subscriptions or author fees (and that's on the low side), and was
able to walk to their library, get help, develop a journal site and
online peer review workflow, begin publishing, and see their
readership increase many times over, at no cost. Libraries have gotten
tremendous appreciation from their campuses -- faculty and
administration -- for offering publishing services, and word is
spreading fast.

Irene Perciali, Ph.D.
Director of Strategic Initiatives
Berkeley Electronic Press

510-665-1200 X108
digitalcommons.bepress.com

bepress: the frontier of scholarly publishing since 1999