From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 14:41:39 -0500
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 21:59:39 +0000

My initial impression (and I'm no lawyer) is that the folks suing Jeff
have a stronger footing for their complaint than Edwin Mellen Press does
in its suit against Dale Askey and McMaster University. By saying that, I
don't mean to be critical of Jeff -- I think that by serving as a watchdog
of unscrupulous OA publishers he's doing the scholpub world a favor. But I
think the use of terms like "criminal" and "misconduct" on his blog may
edge closer to the line of libel or defamation than Dale's posting did.

In this case, Jeff is also less fortunate than Dale in his enemies.
Whereas EMP's complaint against Dale is rife with incoherent arguments and
silly quibbling over matters of opinion and interpretation (such as what
constitutes a "quality" binding), CCSE's complaint against Jeff strikes me
as much more tightly and competently argued. This isn't to say that it's
correct, only that it's less easy to dismiss out of hand.

That's just my $.02. I wish both Jeff and Dale all the best in defending
themselves against these attacks.

---
Rick Anderson
Interim Dean, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah