From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2013 16:59:49 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:31:21 +0000

It's odd that some of the publishers (as cited in the C&RL article)
blame libraries' approval plans for their own policies against
publishing these books.  It's true that YBP, for example, provides an
option for librarians to select "revised dissertations" and/or
"unrevised dissertations," so certainly some are treating them
differently from other books and not necessarily purchasing them
automatically.  However, there are a host of other non-subject
parameter options for excluding books from automatic purchase, and one
of the most commonly used ones is a price limit of perhaps $100 per
volume.  But this hasn't stopped publishers from producing books far
in excess of that price, and I've never heard publishers talk about a
fear that librarians won't buy expensive books.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan H. Harwell
Head of Collections and Systems