From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2018 22:16:02 -0500
From: SANFORD G THATCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 01:55:21 -0500

Actually, Sean, I agree with a lot of what you have to say here. People who
have read what i have written over the years know that I do link the decline in
monograph sales to the increasing devotion of more of library budgets to
keeping up with serial price increases. And more recently I have noted the move
away from dual cloth/paper editions (which Princeton university Press pioneered
back in the early 1970s with its Limited Paperback Editions when I was an
editor there) owing to the trend of more libraries buying the paperback if
offered simultaneously.  And I also traced the decline of sales of books based
on dissertations to the existence of licensed dissertation collections through
ProQuest.  Piracy through LibGen, and secondarily Sci-Hub, just is another nail
in the coffin.

I don't have an ax to grind against Marxism either. I was probably the only
president of the AAUP ever to have referred to Marx (Groucho as well as Karl)
favorably in a presidential address (in 2007), and I acquired many books on
Marx (even including one by Tom Sowell!) during my editorial days at Princeton
and Penn State.  The brand of authoritarian statist communism that Elbakyan
seems to favor is another question, however.

I also share your views about the exploitation of adjunct professors in the
academy and the harm that the Big Deals have caused in fostering yet more the
trend toward oligopoly in  the control of scholarly publishing.  Indeed, my
advocacy of open access was partly motivated by escaping the externalities of
the market economy in scholarly publishing.  My initial discussion of what
later became known as open access was in an essay I wrote in 1996 titled "A
Nonmarket Solution for Scholarly Publishing?"

I think we are more on the same side in this battle more than you might imagine.

Sandy Thatcher