From:
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2016 16:59:17 -0400
From: William Gunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 10:45:16 -0700

I think Lisa makes a great point. If we every get to a place where we
can say, "Here's an open directory of everything, search across it",
then that will powerfully make the case for curated collections
thereof. In fact, every time you have a big collection of anything,
people want to form curated groups. Mendeley developed groups on top
of its open metadata catalog very quickly, as did Facebook, Twitter
with lists, etc. Of course, Danny Kingsley & Ricky Poynder point out,
that there's quite a bit of confusion around metadata - to what extent
it's factual information and thus not copyrightable.
https://twitter.com/dannykay68/status/728139116244656129

William Gunn
Director of Scholarly Communications, Mendeley
@mrgunn
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/william-gunn