From:
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:58:36 -0400
From: Robert Tiessen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 19:06:31 +0000

This is the same issue that Canadian libraries face all the time when
publishers and aggregators try to get us to sign contracts requiring
us to follow US Copyright law.  A library or an educational
institution would be foolish to sign a contract with a publisher that
requires it to follow copyright law from a different country.  Yet it
seems to happen quite a bit anyways.

Robert Tiessen
Books and Media Collection Development Librarian
University of Calgary Library

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 19:37:29 -0500

Since British "fair dealing" differs from "fair use" in the US,
presumably contracts from British publishers referring to copyright
law would have to be interpreted according to British law. The new
revision of UK law makes it explicit that photocopying for student use
in the classroom requires a license:

> The new law does not remove the need for educational establishments to
> hold licences for use that does not fall under the "fair dealing"
> exception, for instance, photocopying material to distribute to
> students.  Schools, colleges and universities still have to pay for
> third party teaching materials which are available under licence

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/375951/Education_and_Teaching.pdf

Obviously, the GSU suit signifies that at least some US universities
do not believe they need to have licenses to copy materials for
classroom use, at least via e-reserves such as GSU set up.

So, how would a US university interpret a British contract that
referred to copyright exceptions?  Wouldn't they have to know British
law? And for contracts with publishers in other countries, the same?
How helpful is that, compared with very specific contract language?

Sandy Thatcher