From:
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 17:19:46 -0400
From: Ann Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 16:30:38 -0400

Today in the Chronicle of Higher Education, Jennifer Howard tells the
story of an Elsevier Science + UBC researcher's (planned) text-mining
experiment.

This brought to mind the efforts of various of us (librarians) over
the last few years to have data or text-mining language inserted into
standard library-publisher contracts, pretty much without success.
However, several publishers (including Elsevier) did tell me that,
while not able to insert such clauses, they'd be glad to work with
campus researchers on a trial basis, thus developing a better
understanding of just what such projects entail and in order to be
prepared for requests in the future.  Not having researchers to bring
to the table, we got no further.  One of my thoughts as I read today's
article is that a gap still exists between libraries, researchers, and
publishers -- we should have been able to work out such forays before
2012!

So, I'm wondering if any readers of this list have participated in
such experiments with publishers/researchers/libraries and your
experiences of same.  And perhaps you could even URL links to accounts
of your projects?

Thank you, Ann Okerson

*******
Elsevier Experiments With Allowing 'Text Mining' of Its Journals

This premium article will be available to nonsubscribers for five days at:

http://chronicle.com/article/Hot-Type-Elsevier-Experiments/131789/?key=TDl1JFRhMyxLNHk3NmsQZG1danFtNxgmZHEQPi0pblFRFQ%3D%3D.