From:
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:28:43 -0400
From: Bill Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 12:10:40 -0400

Subject: Re: Email regarding Jeffrey Beall

I think the debate about Beall's List will continue indefinitely.

Do some scholarly OA publishers just "mount" articles like Youtube
mounts videos, but for a fee?   I don't know.

But maybe this is a growing trend.  For some people--especially in the
popular publishing field--"mounting on the internet" really is
equivalent to publishing.   They feel there should be no barriers to
communication.    This is not a position to be disregarded out of
hand, and comes close to "Let a Thousand Flowers Bloom."

Others in academia certainly value the vetting process, but are
looking for alternatives.

To continue analyzing the position of Beall's List as a useful
service, it may be helpful to recap the issues expounded in his
"Chronicle of Higher Education" interview.   Some of the
issues/questions raise in this thread are grappled with in the Q&A.

 A link is below.

Bill

http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/on-predatory-publishers-a-qa-with-jeffrey-beall/47667