From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:52:53 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:51:23 -0500

There is some potential for confusion here in talking about using CC
licenses and waiving copyright in the same sentence. The two are
mutually exclusive.  Even the least restrictive CC license does not
entirely waive copyright.

There also is the hint that data may be subject to copyright. Data as
pure data are not since copyright cannot protect facts; only the
specific arrangement of data can, and it needs to be sufficiently
original to pass the threshold required by law to qualify for
protection (see the Supreme Court ruling in Feist, 1991).

Sandy Thatcher