From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2016 18:30:37 -0500
From: Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 23:18:06 -0800

Are researchers *allowing* the current publishing environment or are
they *enabling* or even endorsing the current environment through the
choices they're making?

It's my understanding that researchers provide the journal content,
review the content, serve on editorial boards, serve on tenure review
committees, serve on grant review committees, serve on hiring
committees, advise students, and become
administrators/provosts/presidents who set policy.

Researchers can choose where to publish, choose to sign over their
copyright, choose which journals to review for, choose which editorial
boards to serve on, choose to assess junior researchers based on the
quality of their research (just as funders such as Wellcome Trust and
HEFCE explicitly state), choose to hire based on the quality of one's
research, and choose to enact policies that benefit the research
community.

What am I missing? Do researchers not realize their agency? I'm a
librarian who has never published in a journal -- I really do wish to
understand as my goal is to help amplify the impact of the
researcher's work. I realize the increasing demands placed on
researchers (esp. job and funding scarcity), but my empathy extends to
the increasing demands placed on the 21st-century worker/human being
in general, especially those who would benefit from the research.
Apologies if this is tired territory or if I've veered off topic.

All thanks,
Linda Wagner