From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 17:46:00 -0400
From: "Gottlieb, Daniel (gottlidd)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:49:49 -0400

As a subscriber to the World Bank eLibrary, we received the following
email from the World Bank earlier this week regarding the introduction
of their OA policy. There was also an article in the Chronicle of
Higher Education regarding their New World Bank Open Repository at
http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/the-world-bank-goes-open-access-2/36017.
Information in their FAQ was also useful concerning subscribers of
their eLibrary, especially item # 11 at:
https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/faq

Dan Gottlieb
Associate Dean for Collections
& Technical Services
Langsam Library
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH  45221-0033
email: [log in to unmask]

************

Dear World Bank eLibrary Subscriber:

We are writing to tell you about an important announcement the World
Bank made today about its new Open Knowledge Repository (OKR), and
forthcoming Open Access Policy that will go into effect on July 1,
2012. This announcement builds on the World Bank’s ongoing Open
Development Agenda that includes the Open Data initiative (launched
April 2010) and the Access to Information Policy (effective as of July
2010).

The World Bank Open Knowledge Repository (OKR) is the World Bank’s new
repository for its research outputs and knowledge products. Through
the OKR, the World Bank collects, disseminates, and permanently
preserves its intellectual output in digital form. The OKR is
interoperable with other repositories and supports optimal
discoverability and re-usability of the content by complying with
Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) standards and the Open Archives
Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH). Upon launch,
the OKR will include a subset of the content available in eLibrary.

The OKR is built on D-Space, a platform designed for repositories
rather than for the more research-oriented functionality and features
offered by the World Bank eLibrary, such as “favorites,” saving
searches, customized content alerts, and MARC records. For more
information, please read today’s press release at
http://go.worldbank.org/VOS0JQ0VK0. We also invite you to visit the
OKR  and the FAQs page  to learn more about it.

eLibrary New Terms of Use

Your existing subscription is not affected by today’s announcement,
except that as a benefit to eLibrary users, we are aligning the
eLibrary Terms of Use covering the content of the eLibrary with the
Creative Commons copyright licenses that have been adopted by the
Bank. Please find the updated version here:
http://elibrary.worldbank.org/termsconditions.

New Best of Breed eLibrary

As always, eLibrary provides access to the full backlist of ebooks,
flagship reports, Policy Research Working Papers, and the latest World
Bank Economic Review (WBER) and World Bank Research Observer (WBRO)
journal articles without an embargo period (more than 7,000 works in
total), and it remains focused on providing added value for libraries,
corporations, and heavy users of World Bank Research.

We would also like to take this opportunity to announce that we are in
the process of building a new and enhanced XML-based version of
eLibrary. The new eLibrary will allow users to search across and use
content at a more granular level – such as by chapter – with enhanced
browsing, faceting, and more.

Among other features, users will be able to access eLibrary via mobile
devices; build custom ebooks from eLibrary content for course packs;
create alerts; and bookmark content. It will incorporate even more
time-saving conveniences and tools for subscribers such as improved
citation tools, integrated data, and much more. We will keep you
posted on the progress throughout the year.

We thank you for your continued support of World Bank Online
Resources. We look forward to offering you new and improved ways to
access and use research and knowledge from the World Bank. As always,
we welcome any feedback so please don’t hesitate to contact us at

Thanks and best regards,

Devika Levy
Online Sales Manager
World Bank Online Resources
Office of the Publisher
The World Bank, 1818 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20433 - USA
Fax: 1(202) 522-2625  email: [log in to unmask]