From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:03:14 -0500
From: Eugenia Beh <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:56:53 -0600

I don't know if this will help, but when Texas A&M ran into a
publisher who had similar wording (and who wouldn't remove the
clause), we were able to come to the following compromise:

The Client will make a reasonable effort to communicate the
termination of the subscription to its users and request that they
destroy all copies (hard and electronic) of any Licensed Product or
any such report, data or other information in their possession.

"[R]easonable efforts" can be anything from sending out an email
blast, or adding a statement in a university-wide newsletter along the
lines of:

“Texas A&M no longer subscribe to [product] as per the terms and
conditions of our agreement it would be greatly appreciated if all
students would remove any saved PDF’s from their hard drives and cease
using them for any purposes from this point forward”.

I don't know if The Economist will be willing to consider this
language but it may be worth a try.

Hope this helps,
Eugenia