From:
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 14:51:06 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:45:49 -0700

Phil Davis has a thoughtful post on the Kitchen today on the role of
NDAs in license negotiations:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2012/05/29/ndas-economic-tool-or-kabuki-theatre/

Phil's view is that NDAs are not all that bad.  Many people will
disagree with him.

Phil doesn't go far enough.  NDAs lower prices and increase
flexibility.  It's also the right thing to do.  In the absence of
them, every publisher sees the terms of every other publisher, which
leads to rigid standardization.

Of course, advocates of openness will argue that the virtues of
transparency far outweigh any practical shortcomings.  I will remember
this as I write my kids' tuition checks.

Joe Esposito

Joseph J. Esposito
Portable CEO
@josephjesposito