From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 16:21:49 -0500
From: Pippa Smart <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 09:06:30 +0000

To the best of my knowledge all the major publishers do offer
copyediting - however it is rolled up with the typesetting service:
i.e. articles are sent to the typesetting company who will edit the
articles, flag queries, etc., then set up the pages and send them to
the authors for proofreading and responding to queries. If there are
substantial problems (e.g. missing artwork and no response from the
author) the publisher may be contacted to make a decision about the
article, otherwise the typesetter is responsible for this part of the
work. This level of copyediting doesn't usually go into depth but
ensures that the articles are complete, with no spelling mistakes,
correct citations, etc.

Also, some society/association journals who publish with the major
publishers do their own copyediting before it goes to the production
stages because they want to spend more time getting the articles
right. I recently had experience with one where my article was
extensively copyedited after acceptance (a lot of discussion with the
copyeditor about the clarity of certain sections, etc.) before it went
to the "official" publisher copyeditor/typesetter.

Pippa

*****
Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
Tel: +44 7775 627688 or +44 1865 864255
email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.pspconsulting.org
****
Editor of the ALPSP-Alert, Reviews editor of Learned Publishing
****