From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2015 20:14:25 -0500
From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 21:49:42 +0000

At Ann's assurance that this could be valuable to our listserv
conversation and not overly distracting, I'm sharing the responses
that I sent to the questions in the consultation
(http://www.stm-assoc.org/stm-consultations/scn-consultation-2015/).
My approach in responding is based in the assumption that of course
STM has a purpose in opening the consultation.  I appreciate that it
creates a forum in which to begin a dialogue about scholarly sharing.
What I might want and what a publisher might want - well, they are
likely different and what a scholar wants may be yet something else -
but we all benefit by understanding different perspectives, even if we
can't always reconcile them into a single set of principles.

So, for what it is worth ... one submits via email and I don't know
how long it takes for them to be posted online so I can't yet point
you to the website. Instead, what I responded is below and also here
if you prefer a link:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s22/sh/00108b75-233b-4c38-adfc-f86018e26227/aca91a3dbbce01280966d8a582fcbea7

I welcome comment on any of the feedback I sent as well as looking
forward to what others are considering in their responses.

1. What impact do you think a unified approach to scholarly article
sharing would have? - While I applaud the motivation to ensure a
baseline of expectations that enables sharing and the positive aspects
in that, I am concerned that such a unified approach as it is
currently proposed will be interpreted as the maximum limits of what
is allowed rather than a set of minimum expectations of what
publishers should enable and expect. If this sets a maximum limit, it
will ultimately be then a negative impact rather than the positive
intended. Individual authors should be free to negotiate for more
extensive sharing rights (and indeed some publishers already offer
more than what is describe in the principles) and it would be a great
disappointment if the idea of a unified approach is used as a counter
to such requests or decrease what is already offered.

2. Do you have other ideas about how the sharing of scholarly research
should function within the research community? - The research
community is much more inclusive than the "academic groups" described.
The FAQ comments on corporate researchers and the like. I would
mention the development of citizen science and the increasing emphasis
on exchange between academics and citizen science. Limiting sharing to
academic groups posits a reality that does not map to the kinds of
groups current and emerging on campuses. Likewise, academic groups
does not account for the critically important public engagement
function of the extension services of our land-grant universities,
particularly with regard to applied science in agricultural practice.

3. It is our aim to continue to refine the thinking and approach to
article sharing. What feedback or guidance can you offer for further
consideration or to help next steps? - I hope that all who comment
will be contacted directly during next steps. This might be a good
place to mention that measuring amount and type of sharing should be
done in ways that also allow individuals to protect their personal
privacy and the competitive advantage of their work (e.g., such
tracking should not reveal research agendas within a group that might
impede their ability to claim first mover advantage in applying for
grant funding, for example).

4. Would your organization be willing to actively participate and
contribute to this process? - I am responding as an individual, not
for an organization, but as an individual I can affirm that I am
willing to participate and contribute.

5. Do you support the initial outline ‘Voluntary principles for
article sharing on scholarly collaboration networks’? - I support its
role in generating discussion but not the text as written, primarily
due to concerns articulated in response to Q1.

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/Coordinator for Strategic Planning/Coordinator for
Information Literacy Services and Instruction
University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign