From:
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:04:31 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 20:44:57 -0400

I don't know what your business experience is, David, but the first
step in analyzing any publishing business, journals included,is to
parse all the revenue streams. No one publishes journals--no one has
ever published journals.  Publishers invest in IP and then find the
best way to exploit that IP.  Successful publishers find multiple ways
to exploit that IP.  A journal is a manifestation of that underlying
IP.

Concerning a taxonomy for OA, I have no dog in the hunt.  But if you
say that the granularity of the analysis for traditional materials is
unnecessary, you will be missing out on the nature of the enterprise,
and leaving money on the table to boot.

Joe Esposito