From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:18:46 -0500
From: "Elizabeth E. Kirk" <[log in to unmask]>

Where to start?

How about the obvious... No one is talking about course packs here
(except the excerpted language from the Harvard Business School Press
(HBSP) terms), as librarians are quite aware that these are a whole
different legal animal from reserves, which are supplemental, not
required, readings. When an article is linked from a database to a
reserves reading site, each view of that article is counted at the
same royalty rate as any other download from that journal through the
database. Many publishers feel that their royalty rate is very low and
no doubt this is true, but it's hard to believe that Harvard Business
Review doesn't enjoy pretty good returns from Ebsco, since it is a top
selling point for the more expensive versions of Business Source. So
HBSP is making money every time *anyone* in *any* environment clicks
to view full text through the database.

Does HBSP have a right to ask for more money? Of course it does.
What's irritating is that this publisher is part of an institution
whose library suffers from the same economics stresses that the rest
of us do. Despite the traditional fiction that nobody at Harvard ever
worries about money, they certainly are concerned to get the most
cost-effective services for their students and faculty, just as
everyone else is.  One assumes that the Press doesn't talk to the B
School's own librarians before making these decisions. Not to mention
the complexity of remembering what journals you can't link to as
opposed to those you can (how many thousand in full-text with durable
URLs in Business Source Complete alone?).

And No, Richard, we don't make forty copies of Catcher in the Rye if a
professor requires students to read it. If it's required, it's a
textbook, and they have to buy it. If it's a supplemental reading, we
put the copies we legally own on reserve and students read those. If
we digitize parts of it, we pay royalties and the view is restricted
to students in the class.

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College Library
Hanover, NH, USA