From:
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2014 20:53:15 -0400
From: Dominic Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 12:51:50 +0000

Here are some observations from my colleague, Monique Ritchie
(Research Librarian and Copyright Officer)

--

"Actually, the introduction of 5% per annum for works copied by
educational establishments, which are not otherwise covered by a

"In theory, its extension to 5% makes it more usable, especially as
the UK is used to working with 5% limits under the UK Copyright
Licensing Agency licence for books and periodicals.  Also, worth
saying that this copying is systematic copying, and will also allow
the copied works to be used or communicated in print/digital formats,
something not typically allowed by any UK fair dealing exceptions
(probably different to US fair use).

"The idea behind the reform I believe is to allow educational
establishments to use a reasonable amount of all materials they need
to use for education/research without harm to the rights holder, and
without undue bureaucracy.

"The UK now has more activities governed by fair dealing (like TDM),
but fair dealing limits are either undefined (as before, to allow
flexibility for users and protection for rights owners) or are
specified (as in this 5% limit) depending on the exception and the
purpose. For example, the text and data mining exception can apply to
100% of any number of whole works simultaneously, because this befits
the purpose of the exception, provided the user has lawful access to
the work/s they are using. In contrast, limits for standard fair
dealing for non-commercial private study or research are still
undefined. Whilst guidance suggests copying a whole work is unlikely
to be fair, it does not expressly prohibit the copying of a whole work
- it could well be fair to do so for preservation, or where the
copying will not harm the rights owner's interests, but is necessary
for to fulfil the purpose covered by the exception being used.

"However, it will bring its own problems if the institution chooses to
exercise their rights under this particular exception. Firstly, while
the entire university can use the same unlicensed extract under
exception, if another course needs a different extract in the same 12
month period (this is any consecutive 12 month period under the new
exception) then they can't use it. Knowing what everyone else is using
across the institution is difficult to impossible, unless all
materials are handled centrally, and this can mean a significant
amount of extra work for libraries and reduced academic freedom /
flexibility. Additionally, if the clock begins counting down from the
date an extract is first used,  then any use under this exception
might have to be monitored against an indefinite range of 12 month
periods, which might also prove challenging.

"So, will it work? That's the key question..."

--

Dominic Benson