From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 19:39:06 -0400
From: John Sack <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed15 Oct 2014 15:56:35 -0700

(I am submitting this reply on behalf of Anurag Acharya
  - John Sack )

Joseph Esposito writes:

>Not persuasive.  The number of articles continues to grow, the number
>of slots in the so-called elite journals is pretty much constant.

ANURAG:  Let me try again.

As mentioned in the abstract and in the methods section, we picked a
fixed & relatively low number of top-cited articles -- 1000 per
category. The top 10 journals in a category, as a group, publish more
than 1000 articles a year. So, it is not a matter of the size of the
pot growing and the top-cited journals not growing. Rather, there are
a fixed number of slots every year in each category and more of the
slots each year are now being filled by articles published in
non-elite journals.

I would also like to point out that the results indicate that the
elite journals still
publish a substantial fraction of high-impact articles. They are still
elite. But there is a clear and significant shift in the distribution
and it occurs across a diverse range of research fields.

cheers,
anurag