From:
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:36:57 -0500
From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 02:21:17 +0000

A few more thoughts on why surveys may be mis-matched to documenting
use and offering an attempt at clarity on my access log and
self-perception bias comments...

Whether you can determine the kind of person who is accessing the
content via access logs will be determined by how you have set-up
access and what you track. If you require logins and capture patron
type, you will be able to determine use by patron group. If not, yes -
you'll have everyone's use. I'm probably on the side of thinking that
postdocs and graduate students are pretty important users of research
content and, honestly, undergraduates too. But, even if not
undergrads, I hope we'd find middle ground on thinking that ALL of
those with research responsibilities (i.e., driving research
productivity at the University) are key constituents here.

I'm skeptical on the response rate you'd get - I think it would be
much lower than you'd like. But, let's say it is high ... I think the
data itself would be really difficult to rely upon. The
self-perception bias phrase I used is probably more accurately labeled
"set of cognitive biases"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases). In this case,
a number of memory biases seem likely to be an issue. Remembering
accurately how often one has done anything over the past year, for
example, is not easy much less remembering at the level of journal
title when presented with a long list.  And, there is also the
complexity here that there would be motivation for a faculty member to
over-report use because of the perception he/she has of the importance
of the journal in the field ("of course I use this journal - it is an
important one!").

Having said all this - it would be wonderful if someone had empirical
data to test this with. A relatively straightforward design would be
to compare a faculty members reports of use with the sources they cite
in publications. This design has obvious limitations but it would
allow comparison of faculty member reported use with documented use.
Better of course would be correlating access log use with faculty
member reported use, but that would require tracking not just patron
type but actual individual patrons. In the US, I suspect few libraries
would have that data readily available but it might be possible in
Australia I believe if I correctly understand their access logging
practices.

Lisa

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/Coordinator for Strategic Planning
Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction
University Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 09:22:57 -0600

Sure, if you got a very low response rate, but I'm guessing enough
faculty would find this a very important survey to respond to. And it
would reveal a lot more than usage counts, which presumably include
uses by everyone, not just faculty. (I'm not sure what access logs
are, but do they reveal who is doing the accessing? And how does
"self-perception bias," whatever that is, enter into the equation?) If
faculty regularly use a journal instead of just very occasionally
using an article from it, isn't that a very important piece of
information?   It seems like a pretty straightforward question to ask,
particularly if you define what "regularly" means.

Sandy Thatcher