From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2016 19:34:29 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 01:01:03 -0600

My overall position is actually relatively simple: I believe that OA
is ultimately the most desirable future for scholarly publishing, but
until we can succeed in working out business models that are
sustainable in that new environment, I believe that copyright
protection is essential to maintaining the viability and integrity of
the traditional publishing model. If copyright is eroded too much
under present circumstances, university presses will not survive long
enough to become OA publishers. So, I'm for copyright now, but expect
its role to become less important for publishers (if not authors, who
will still need to be concerned about protecting the integrity of
their work) as we move into an OA future.

Sandy Thatcher