From:
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:52:31 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 00:37:36 +0000

Anne did not say that the use violated a term in the contract.  Fair
use is a statutory right granted by the courts and by Congress. It
authorizes certain uses beyond what a the terms of a contract allow,
unless the contract explicitly waives fair use or asserts that the
authorized use are the only uses permitted.  As long as we avoid such
language, fair use, section 108, etc. are available as a supplement to
whatever the contract says.  So Anne's strategy of opting for silence
is sound.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries

Sent from my iPad