From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:27:10 -0400
From: Michael Zeoli <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:48:14 -0400

Just a note to offer a slightly different perspective.  These large
inexpensive subscription ebook aggregations (there are several very
similar collections on the market) have served a purpose and provided
value to *many* libraries.  Usage statistics for these collections at
libraries that have been using them for years are extremely strong.
The renewal rates are always over 90%.

The books are typically academic although with this number of titles,
there are some that will fall on the margins or outside that scope.
That the bulk are older, typically 2+ years, owes also in large part
to publisher restrictions: they cannot afford to provide access to new
titles for pennies on the dollar.  The public domain content and other
'free from whatever site' is an issue that these content providers
have considered and explored with academic libraries.  Integrating
this content into the collections makes the content immediately
available, discoverable, searchable and useable.

All that said, we all know that there are no 'one-size fits all'
solutions to collection building (something that distresses me a bit
about the current PDA frenzy, but that's another topic).  These large
aggregations are intended to provide a large critical mass of eContent
to academic libraries covering a broad range of subjects.  They are
not at all well suited for specialized research centers, nor were they
intended to be.  A collection like this is one possible piece in
building the larger university eContent collection.  I should be built
on through eApprovals, Publisher collections, eSeries, Patron-Driven
title availability, etc.  No one would build a house using just a
screwdriver.  A full range of tools are needed.  Collections like
these are one of those tools and are suited to particular needs.

EBSCO doesn't need me to defend them, but in fairness, they are
working hard to provide new resources and new models.  While new
efforts are not always born perfect, with help from libraries they
will continue to build valuable tools.  They are listening - I'd
recommend sending them your comments.

Michael

**************************************
Michael Zeoli
VP, Strategic eContent Development & Partner Relations
YBP Library Services
Contoocook, New Hampshire  03229
http://www.ybp.com

From: Amy Schuler <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:07:14 -0500

Agreed.  I would also add that many of the science & tech subject
publications I saw listed are National Academies Press reports, which
may be downloaded for free as PDFs from the NAP website in many cases.

Just something to keep in mind when considering the cost of licensing
this collection.

Amy Schuler
Director, Information Services & Library Cary Institute of Ecosystem
Studies Millbrook, New York