From:
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 19:02:57 -0400
From: Kathleen Folger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 23:58:12 -0400

That was my math too, Sandy. The about page for Round 2 of Knowledge
Unlatched says:

A service charge of 15% to cover KU’s running costs (which were
previously covered by grants) has been divided between the publishing
and library communities, with 7.5% of the title fee being covered by
each party. The price of each package already reflects this service
charge.

See http://www.knowledgeunlatched.org/about-round-2/

-Kathleen

Kathleen M. Folger, Electronic Resources Officer
University of Michigan Library
312 Hatcher North
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1190

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:49 PM, LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 19:47:15 -0500
>
> If my math is correct, this comes out to a total payment of $14,965
> per title.  That is lower than the full cost of publishing a standard
> monograph (which is closer to $25,000), but might cover the full
> "first copy" costs, so I assume that the participating presses are
> expecting to pay the remaining costs from sales of POD editions or
> their own operating subsidies. Also, there must be some administrative
> expenses involved with making sure Knowledge Unlatched works the way
> it is supposed to work. What percentage of the $14,965 per title does
> that expense represent?
>
> Sandy Thatcher
>

> > From: Christina Emery <[log in to unmask]>
> > Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:34:57 +0100
> >
> > Dear Liblicense subscribers,
> >
> > Knowledge Unlatched Announces Launch of Round 2 Collection
> >
> > Following on from its highly successful Pilot concluded last year,
> > Knowledge Unlatched is delighted to announce the launch of its second
> > collection.
> >
> > If at least 300 libraries from around the world pledge their
> > commitment by 31 January 2016, 78 new Humanities and Social Sciences
> > books will be made free for anyone in the world to read on an Open
> > Access basis.
> >
> > The KU Collection includes 78 new books in five subject areas
> > (Anthropology, History, Literature, Media & Communications and
> > Politics) from 26 recognised scholarly publishers:

[SNIP]