From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 23:34:07 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:12:24 -0800

Oh, gosh, Jan, where to begin?  This is just plain wrong.  There is
nothing "back door" about having a librarian pay for something.  And
it would be a wonderful world if maximum distribution were possible
without marginal cost, but in fact there are huge costs to that
distribution, if by "distribution" you mean that you persuade people
actually to read something.  Moving bits around costs nothing, and
presumably this is what you mean, but the bits on my hard drive are
meaningless unless I engage with them.

We have here the old saw about non-rival goods.  It does not apply to
media.  Media is not a product but something that must engage human
attention.  That's a scarce thing.  There is no superabundance of
information when you take into account that someone has to be thinking
about the information.

But it really is unfortunate that you insist on making this a binary
game.  I don't know if I could possibly have been more lavish in my
admiration for the author-pays model.  It sits side by side with the
subscription model and other forms of traditional (that is,
toll-access) publishing.  Who has to choose?  Over time, the different
economics of these models will influence the nature of the content
such that you will get different things from subscriptions than you do
for author-pays.  Is there anything wrong with that?  Why would anyone
accuse a radio of not being a television?

Joe Esposito