From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:56:03 -0400
From: Eric Hellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Subject: a rational framework for library lending of ebooks

I've been thinking about frameworks for ebooks in libraries, and would
very much appreciate comment.

My basic assumptions are as follows:

* Library ebook distribution must sustain and increase the total
population of readers; this is a prerequisite for a healthy book
publishing industry.

* Patron discovery of ebooks in libraries must connect effectively to
ebook sales.

* Library distribution must become much more efficient, and overhead
must become much smaller for ebooks than it is today for print books
and ebooks.

* Long term preservation of ebook availability must be a joint
undertaking of libraries and publishers.

* The economic models used for library ebook distribution must provide
incentives for libraries and publishers to promote points 1-4.

And I go on to suggest that if inefficies can be removed from library
ebook distribution, then there's room for the circulation charges that
would make library licensing attractive to publishers.

http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-rational-framework-for-library-ebook.html

Happy summer, everybody!

Eric

Eric Hellman