From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:27:17 -0400
From: Cynthia Hodgson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:17:29 -0400

The Spring 2014 issue of the National Information Standard
Organization's Information Standards Quarterly magazine--providing a
summary of the 2013 standards development work conducted by NISO and
by the international ISO Information and Documentation committee
(TC46)--has been published in open access on the NISO website. NISO
provides this Year in Review issue on an annual basis to keep readers
apprised of all the accomplishments of our community in the past year.

"NISO's standards and recommended practices development pipeline has
more than 20 active projects," states Nettie Lagace, NISO's Associate
Director for Programs. "In 2013, we published two new standards, four
recommended practices, and a new technical report. We also issued
drafts for public comment of one standard and two recommended
practices. Four new projects were launched, two of them funded with
grants from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation. These are all described in more detail in this issue of
ISQ."

"NISO's role as the U.S. Administrator for the ISO TC46 Committee on
Information and Documentation and the Secretariat for the subcommittee
on Identification and Description ensures that our community has an
active role in international standards development as well," explains
Cynthia Hodgson, ISQ Managing Editor and a consultant for NISO who
helps manage the ISO work. "The work of TC 46 and its five
subcommittees during the past year --including the newly revised SC on
Document Storage and Conditions for Preservation--is summarized in this
issue of ISQ. Additionally, in May 2014, NISO will be hosting, on
behalf of ANSI, the annual meeting week of TC46--the first meeting in
the U.S. in ten years. A two-page spread in the issue highlights this
meeting and its sponsors."

"We also are celebrating this summer the 75th anniversary of NISO's
founding," states Todd Carpenter, NISO's Executive Director. "The
leaders in the library community who came together back in 1939 were
visionaries who saw the need for our community to collaboratively
solve issues through standards development. In 2009 for our 70th
anniversary, we published a timeline of NISO's milestones since its
1939 founding; for this issue of ISQ we have updated the timeline with
milestones over the past five years. NISO and its community of
volunteers have much to be proud of, as this issue of ISQ clearly
illustrates."

The Spring issue also contains the annual reference listing of all of
NISO's published standards, recommended practices, and technical
reports. Information Standards Quarterly is available electronically
in open access from the NISO website at:
www.niso.org/publications/isq/. ISQ is also available in print format
by subscription or in print on demand.

Cynthia Hodgson
ISQ Managing Editor
National Information Standards Organization