From:
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 19:41:09 -0400
From: Laura Quilter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 00:56:28 -0400

Yes, the Authors Guild has made it abundantly clear that its doesn't
consider the actual interests and perspectives of academic authors as
relevant to its organization.  But, since we are all copyright holders
now, with our scholarly papers under the same copyright regime as
someone else's bestselling novel, it seems obvious that the voices of
the many different kinds of "authors" should be equally heard.  The
Authors Guild took it upon themselves to (mis)represent scholarly
writers, with their litigations against digitizing mostly academic
works; this new organization comes directly from the significant
problems with the Authors Guild claiming to so represent such a broad
class.  Personally I'm very pleased that academic authors will now
have an alternate voice that does speak to the interests of those the
Authors Guild so seriously misrepresented.

Honestly, I'm somewhat bemused by the Guild's kneejerk hostility.  I
would have imagined there would be areas of strong mutual interest --
terminations and publication contracts, just to start.

As to the Authors Alliance's engagement with scholarly presses, I
imagine that will be an item of great interest.  There are quite a few
humanists on the advisory board (with quite a number of publications
under their respective belts), so it looks hopeful.

Laura Markstein Quilter / [log in to unmask]
Attorney, Geek, Militant Librarian, Teacher

Copyright and Information Policy Librarian
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Lecturer, Simmons College, GSLIS