From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2013 08:51:55 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:22:52 +0100

I know nothing about this and as you know Jim there are lots of things I
know nothing about BUT my guess is that in most cases where a declaration
from a group of bodies is seen as a response it is almost always a parallel
announcement. It just takes time to get a buy-in.  I can give an example
from personal experience. If an organisation like STM makes a response which
appears to be a quick reaction to something announced by the ARL you can be
almost certain that it is parallel. Getting a group of publishers to agree
to any statement representing them as a body requires serious consultation
and I would imagine that John Vaughn will have had to do some lobbying to
get an internal consensus within his organisation - and he does not have to
worry about anti-trust!