From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:29:16 -0500
From: Fred Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 20:49:10 -0500

A few points.  Most faculty, unlike many of us on this list, do not
deal with licenses and copyright as a routine part of their jobs.
Most don't read and/or don't understand what they are signing.  They
are under pressure to publish; one might be able to build an effective
legal argument that they signed those contracts under duress.  While I
generally agree that people should read and abide by the terms of the
agreements that they sign, Elsevier has gone way overboard on this
one.  Posting on sites like academia.edu, etc. is very unsystematic
and sporadic. It is not going to replace library subscriptions.  Most
of the people who download articles from such sites are highly
unlikely to pay for those not available for free.  Elsevier is
probably spending more in tracking down articles and sending takedown
notices than they will make as a result.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Fred W. Jenkins, Ph.D.
Professor and Associate Dean for Collections and Operations
University of Dayton Libraries
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1360